Sunday, January 25, 2009

the joy of doing nothing


Usually I am not the type of person to sleep in, lounge around in my pajamas, swear off showering, and lie on the sofa until noon drinking coffee ... but this weekend I was. And it was fabulous! Perhaps it is due to my recently lowered stress levels, perhaps it is the weather ... regardless, the last couple of days I experienced the pure and simple joy of ... doing nothing. In an increasingly frenzied world, where the worth of one's life is judged by the hours she spends working, producing, accumulating, I am trying to learn to be content with doing nothing. Well ... maybe not completely nothing ... I did do yoga, finish Lolita, see The Wrestler (fantastic, by the way), and go walking in the rain. The result of this slow weekend? Clear white eyes, wrinkle-less brow, and a glance toward Monday with calm resignation (as opposed to the usual tense regret that comes with adulthood).

No comments: