Sunday, December 14, 2008

craft-challenged mother dotes on bunny children


Well, no one can say I didn't try. We have a small apple tree in front of our new house, and ever since we moved in last September I've had the brilliant idea to fashion a ball out of its branches for the bunnies to munch on and roll around. It seemed like a simple task, but it took me months to actually walk down the stairs, perch myself on the slope, and trim a handful of young branches from the tree. I was so proud of myself, but that pride quickly turned to embarrassment when I realized that I have absolutely no idea how to transform a pile of apple branches into a ball. I struggled for what seemed like hours, and came up with this jumble. I placed a bell in the middle in a feeble attempt to make it look classy ...

I then presented my creation to the bunnies, who, let me say, are some harsh critics. They took one look and proceeded to destroy what I had worked so hard to create. Did they roll the "ball" around? No. Did they toss it back and forth to each other with glee? No. They just pulled the branches apart, ate a few, and then sat there grooming each other before the fireplace.

Was it worth all of this work and mental anguish only to see my art disassembled like so many apple branches? Of course it was. After all, that is the essence of bunny motherhood.

1 comment:

laurel said...

awwwww - you're such a good bunny mommy! and I'm so proud of you for all your life-changing decision-making, not to mention your amazing writing talents. you are awesome, mrs. geary!