Sunday, February 15, 2009

A Tranny Valentine's Day?


Ah, the innocence of children.

Friday at work was a whirlwind of candy, paper hearts, screaming children, and ... tranny Valentines. That's right. What do you tell a Kindergartner, excitedly showcasing her Valentines from school, when one of said Valentines has a photograph of transvestites? The answer is: nothing.

The afternoon had been progressing normally, though a little amped up by sugar, when an angelic blond darling sauntered up to a fellow teacher begging her to read her her Valentine. Though I was across the room, I heard the sudden gasp of the teacher and turned to see the five-year-old looking up at teacher in confusion. Teacher then walked over to me, followed by the innocent, and said, "You've got to see her Valentine." The front seemed tame enough, reading, "This Valentine doesn't have any trans-fat, but there's another secret hidden inside." It opened to a large color photograph of two awkwardly dressed transvestites pushing shopping carts down the vegetable isle of a supermarket.

Normally, I try not to laugh at things the kids give me in seriousness, but this was one of those moments that I could not stop myself. I actually had to walk to the bathroom because I was laughing so hard and didn't want to have to explain the reason for my laughter to the poor little girl. The whole way to the door, I was trailed by, "Why are you laughing at my Valentine, Erin? Why?"

The Valentine was quickly put away, but the little innocent just could not seem to resist going and looking at it every half hour or so. When her mother came to pick her up, we quietly warned her of the card's content, and began to usher them out the door. As they walked outside into the night, I distinctly heard the little girl say, "But Mom, this one kinda looks like a boy ...".

I walked to my car laughing so hard I had to wipe tears from my eyes.

No comments: