Wednesday, March 18, 2009

a note to supervisors


During my short working life, I've managed to encounter my fair share of poor ... managers. (I've also been a manager, so perhaps the people I've bossed around will have some complaints of their own.) Regardless, I believe that managing is an incredibly underrated skill, and that most people who become managers never bother to learn the interpersonal skills needed for the job. Thus, without further ado, I present a brief list of managing "don'ts", inspired by personal experience as one being constantly -- poorly -- managed (written from the employee perspective).

1. Don't say "we" will do something when you mean "you" will do it.
2. Don't pretend to care what I think if you really don't.
3. Don't make up rules that cannot be justified or explained and expect me to respect your authoritay.
4. Don't give me your opinion constantly and act like I agree with you ... cause I probably don't.
5. Don't yell at me about something trivial, then when you realize what a dolt you are come back and play nice.
6. Don't act like something doesn't matter one day and scream about it the next.
7. Don't get flustered and defensive when I ask questions.
8. Don't be surprised or upset when employees discuss and compare pay and benefits.
9. Don't treat me like your daughter ... cause I'm not.
10. Don't expect me to be loyal to the point where I put my job above everything else in my life.

3 comments:

Valerie Geary said...

Oh I love number 10!! That one is the best one! I had a manager actually say during a meeting that whoever was there just for the paycheck could leave. Um excuse me? Really? You first. : )

Anonymous said...

Erin!!! I love your blog! But please say none of those 10 items are directed at me! ;-)

Love ya, Jen Marino

Erin Geary said...

Jen! Of course not! I should have added that: I have had wonderful supervisors, such as you, who have helped me to see the horror of the inferior others :)